Full Custom Music Kraken Overdrive - MADE IN USA!
Kraken Overdrive Overview
The "Kraken"! Guarantied the best sea monster themed overdrive pedal you have ever heard. Forget 11, our gain control goes from calm seas to the full fury of Poseidon. Whether you need a bit of clean boost, blues overdrive or something a heavier sounding, the Kraken has you covered. The Kraken has a very amp-like feel and uncompressed attack, thanks to the use of an all Class-A Discrete Transistor design. Unlike diode clipping It will not mask the sound of your amp with false compression.
But wait! There's more! The on-board professional grade active EQ allows you to personally tailor the tone to your taste. Also our switchable bypass system includes an optional buffer or true bypass.
- Limited Availability
- Shipping Time: Same day or within 1 business day
Gain-The Gain control adjusts the amount of vintage overdrive goodness, this control is designed to work like the gain control of an amplifier.
EQ-The active bass and treble controls offer much more flexibility than a single tone control. At their center positions the controls are effectively bypassed. At their extremes they provide +/- 15db of cut or boost. The center frequency is set at 800 Hz.
Volume-Adjusts the output signal level to your amp. The Kraken can provide 6db of full range clean boost. With the volume control at its center position the boost will be about 3db, depending upon the settings of the other controls.
External Supply Jack-Standard 2.1mm center pin negative 9 Volts. Current required is less than 20mA. A higher voltage power supply will not change the sound of the Kraken as the supply voltage inside the pedal is internally regulated; this helps to keep the Kraken free of noise. If the wrong polarity supply or a supply with an excessively high voltage is used it may cause damage to the pedal.
Bypass Switch- The Kraken has two bypass modes selectable via internal dip switch. Trü Bypass (oo--) for boutique style True Bypass and Buffered Bypass (--oo) which uses a unity gain buffer that does not bypass with the effect. This setting works well for those times when true bypass does not work, as in connecting many devices inline, extreme mismatches of impedance or long cable runs.
Frequency Response- The Kraken is designed to maintain an accurate representation of your original signal within +/- 1.5db when the EQ Controls are set to their center position. This allows the Kraken to be useful not only for electric guitar but also bass, keyboard, acoustic guitar or many other applications. In fact, if you find something the Kraken does not work for let us know.
Gain Treble Bass Volume
All Hands on Deck 5 5 5 5
Wooden Ships 10 3 0 2
Whitecaps 4 3 5 4
Settings numerated 1 through 10 with 5 being half way.
All FCMI products are guaranteed for three year against manufactures defect, materials and workmanship.
● Is the Kraken a clone of a vintage pedal?
○ No, it is an original design and concept of Full Custom Music Repair. It is the replacement for the now discontinued Orange Sticker Top Kraken. There were three vintage pedals that we looked at for inspiration, the Big-Muff, Dallas Arbiter Fuzz-Face and Colorsound Overdriver. Although no direct circuits are taken from these effects, the Kraken is designed to produce the same type of harmonic distortion as a cranked up amplifier.
● Is the Kraken True Bypass?
○ You can select between True Bypass or Buffered Bypass with the internal DIP switch
● Will The Kraken work with a DC supply?
○ All our pedals are designed to work with the standard 2.1mm center pin negative supply. This was the number one most requested feature by customers who purchased the original Kraken Overdrive.
● Will the Kraken work with my Wah pedal?
○ Yes, either before or after the Kraken. The Kraken should work with any other effects that you have. In fact, if you have a problem with another pedal in your chain you can use the Kraken’s buffer to make it play nice.
● Where should the Kraken be in my effects chain?
○ Anywhere in your effects chain will work, although settings above unity gain may sound best with the Kraken last. If the Kraken is first a chain of multiple effects you can use the buffer to buffer your entire effects chain.
● Will the Kraken affect the low end of my bass?
○ No, the Kraken has a flat frequency response. We did everything possible to make sure that only the Bass and Treble controls affect your tone and that at their 12 o’clock settings they are effectively bypassed.
● When the bass control is turn up will it affect the highs?
○ No, rather than a passive tone control we have given you active Bass and Treble controls which were design to have no interaction with each other and limited interaction with the other features. This allows you to dial in tones that are dark, bright, midrangey, scooped or even very neutral.
● Will the Kraken work with single coil pickups?
○ Yes, you can even use the EQ to make them sound midrangey and thick like a humbucker.
● Will the Kraken be too muddy sounding with humbuckers?
○ No, you can even use the Treble control give a humbucker more edge without losing bass response.
● What battery life can I expect?
○ Current draw is less than 20mA. A Carbon-Zinc 9 Volt battery should last greater than 30 hours of use.
● Will the Kraken work with an amp that is already overdriven?
○ Yes, very well as a lead boost or for just a thicker sound.
● What clipping diodes do you use, does the Kraken use the JRC4558?
○ The Kraken is a discrete Class A preamp just like your favorite tube amps. So it's clipping and feel is just like an amp. We have never been happy with the sound of overdrive pedals that use clipping diodes. Clipping diodes create false compression, masking the feel of your amp. The only way we found to get that great crank amp sound was to look beyond the JRC4558 and clipping diodes the most overdrive pedals use. We used our background in repair and custom amplifier building to design the best Class-A overdrive with the best modern parts so that each new Kraken can sound just like the last.